Among all non-wovens that have been introduced recently, Lutradur is the most popular. It has a couple of very useful qualities except for being perfectly sew-able. It can be burnt nicely with very little health hazards (they say, but they always forget to mention that it shouldn't be covered with paint before burning, paints stink ). I have tried two paints so far- Marabu textile paints both regular and metallic and artists acrylic paints. To reduce transparency in some places I applied gesso, but the same result could be achieved by simply applying thicker layers of acrylic paint. The comparison between the two paints mentioned above showed that Marabu looks nicer and penetrates into the fibres better. Sadly, it costs much more)). The thicker the layer of paint, the longer it takes to burn through, and the colour of the paints gets darker as with Tyvek.
To have control over the burning process it is easier not to place the sheet of Lutradur on the ceramic tile as recommended, but to hold it in hands. In this case Lutradur is better be stretched inside some wire frame. I was too lazy to make one and used embroidery hoops. Holding the hoop against the light I could control the process better especially when I made random holes. Just heated the soldering iron to the desired temperature and punched the stretched sheet of Lutradur. The hotter the iron the better are the edges of the holes. The tip of the soldering tool is round, pencil-like in this case.
To cut long lines in Lutradur another tip was used.
The other piece is painted with acrylic paint, the upper part was first covered with gesso to add colour
The piece was punched with hot soldering iron and then treated with heat gun. I think it should be burnt more but I am afraid that it will start bulging.