Sunday, August 23, 2020

My Scrappy White log cabin quilt

 My white scrappy quilt from the "Log cabins" collection was very enthusiastically received. Everybody is interested how many fabrics I used and where they came from. I started counting but stopped after 20. I used a lot of different fabrics . Many came from Russia, some are quite old, the provenance of some pieces is weird. Only textile freaks can understand. Some years ago we bought a nicely packed turkey from Selfridges. It was wrapped in a cotton fabric with the logo of the shop. Nothing special but I never toss away good quality cotton. Washed, ironed and stored in a basket it waited patiently for its time. White polka dot cotton I bought to make the first Christmas stocking for my three-year old daughter and plain very light cotton stripes I got from my mother's neighbour. I didn't want to drag them with me to another country but my mother found it rude if I refuse to accept her friend's gift. My daughter's Sultana Frantsuzova dress turned out to be endless, I used it in three blankets but there still were some scraps for this one. My 30-year-old pinkish linen skirt helped to add some warm touches to the palette. 

On the back is a piece of  embroidered bedding, found in my mother's wardrobe, it had never been used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment