Sunday, August 26, 2012

Discharge 2

I filled 300 ml bottle with discharge paste yesterday and it lasts forever. The fabric I especially dyed for this purpose is up, but the bottle is still half full. The second sample I made yesterday took ages to prepare and ages to remove the resist. I stitched hard semitransparent paper with zigzag 5m wide, 0,8 mm thick, removed paper between the lines, left a layer of paper under the threads.

I thought that would help to get more contrast between discharged area and lines under the paper. In reality discharge paste was too fluid, lines were too close to each other and the fabric too thin. It got wet all over. I decided to be clever and first iron it, the discharged areas become paler, the lines under the threads and paper would get less heat and steam and lose less colour. After ironing, I will remove threads and paper, rinse the fabric et voila. Removing all the threads will take some time, I'll do it in the evening, the fabric still contains lots of discharge and smells. The smell is not that strong and nasty but adds to the inconveniences of the method.

And by the way, it takes a lot of thread to prepare even a small (50x50cm) sample. Consider using cheap(er) thread and, as a result cheap(er) sewing machine. My Pfaff hates cheap threads and I don't want to disrespect my Bernina by using them. My oldest machine did the job.

After struggling with threads I wanted something very easy. Here it is, very easy but I like it. It takes only a piece of wallpaper and a roller to apply discharge in this case, no sewing, no ripping the seams.

And to finish endless bottle:

No comments:

Post a Comment